Tuesday, May 12, 2009

A brief history of my Giants fandom

I've been a Giants fan for years, but I've been a die-hard Giants fan only the past couple of years. Here's a collection of some of my Giants memories:

- My next-door neighbor and I put together a neighborhood newspaper when we were maybe seven or so. One issue, the sports section was going to look like this: "Kevin Mitchell got traded. (My brother) got a new baseball glove. (Her dad) got a pool table." We eventually cut Kevin Mitchell's news item as he was technically not in our neighborhood.

- I signed a postcard to keep the Giants from going to Florida.

- During the baseball strike, we went to a San Jose Giants game for my friend's birthday. I was the only one who brought a glove. The SJGiants had a promotion where if you caught a foul ball, you'd win a free pizza. I didn't catch a foul ball, but one landed in the seat next to me -- between my friend's back and the back of her chair. We didn't get a pizza.

- In fourth grade, I played Bobby Sox softball (my one and only year of softball). Since we got our jersey numbers in alphabetical order by last name, I was #2. We then went to a game at Candlestick, where the player highlighted in the program was #2, Darren Lewis. I will never forget that, since D-Lew and I shared a number. When Randy Winn came in and took #2, I was like, "aw, that was D-Lew's number!"

- I think the last time I went to Candlestick for the Giants was in the mid-90s, probably the summer of '97. I didn't go to Pac Bell until at least '03.

All right, so far so good for '09 -- let's keep it going!

No comments:

Post a Comment